Wednesday, October 15, 2008

WHEN YOU MISS A DOSE


There are some times that you miss medication for some reason or other. For me it is usually when I am out of town and we get home later than expected. When this occurs I normally anticipate getting home early enough to take my meds at the normal time. I usually miss my evening medication. If I have to drive home late at night—3:00 or 4:00 AM---I know that I will be more alert if I miss the Seroquel. I may do this intentionally in order to stay awake so I won’t fall asleep at the wheel.

When I do this for that night and only that night I am on a manic high and recognize why I am reacting that way. It feels good and I can see why people want to get off the meds but as the mind races the serotonin level decreases and eventually the old symptoms return. The next day I go back to my regular meds and realize that it will take one or two days until I am back on schedule. I don’t advocate doing this, but when and if you miss a dose go right back on schedule with the next scheduled time for medication. Don’t fall into the mindset that you can handle it without the meds unless you are on the doctor’s orders.

No comments: