Thursday, September 4, 2008

MEDICATION: BLESSING OR CURSE?




Why, oh why does everyone seem to think that being bipolar is nothing at all? I get tired and exhausted from doing simple things and I can't handle things like I used to be able. This past weekend we were gone for the whole weekend and I enjoyed myself but found myself wiped out on Monday. This is not in my head! It is part of who I am now---not what I choose to be---but what being bipolar does to me. Motivation is not always easy and the hot weather does not help one flip.


I feel better when I am not stressed out and can keep on a regular routine but it seems like such an unrealistic idea. Is there such a thing as "routine" in my life? Why do interruptions cause me to feel worn out? Medication. It seems to help but only to help prevent the extreme mood swings. I have known of others who have gone off their medication only to have more severe symptoms. They have ended up in the hospital until their chemistry has evened out. I do not choose that path but some times I wonder if not taking the medication would help. I take my medication faithfully--Lamictal and Effexor XR in the am and Lamictal and Seroquel in the pm. We’ve tried a variety of RX’s and these seem to keep me on a more even keel.

Being bipolar is NOT fun and more than once I wish I didn't have to deal with the whole blasted thing.

No comments: