Saturday, September 13, 2008

TAKE TIME TO RELAX


Sometimes I wonder if I will ever know what the meaning of that word means. My life seems so hectic at times when all I really want is some peace and quiet. This weekend I am in TN visiting my son and his wife and it is so great be able to sit down and hear almost nothing. My own life seems full of interruptions, way too many phone calls, always plenty of laundry to do, and so on, and so on. My mind needs time to unwind and I have had to relearn how to forgive myself and actually do something leisurely.

Working on my writing helps me to relax but my mind is still active. The intent of relaxing is to let your mind take you far away from all the tasks and details that bother you. If you need a break, walk outside and sit down for a while, work in a garden, read a book. sip a glass of lemonade, or bask in the sun. Whatever it takes for you to relax, do it. Once you allow your mind to calm down, you will feel better.

Oh, BTW, that relaxing time has to be longer than 5 or 10 minutes. With the fast racing speed of a bipolar mind in a manic stage that doesn't give me long enough. With only a few minutes, the time is short that I have only had time to think of more things to do and not unwind at all.

No comments: