Thursday, September 25, 2008

FORGIVE YOURSELF


If at any time during this crazy bipolar "mess" you give into something off the wall be willing to forgive yourself. This is perhaps the hardest thing for me to do.

For example, if I go out and spend a little more money than usual, either return the item or recognize it as one of the stages of bipolar. If I get angry or out of sorts, the same thing applies. Take it in stride and forgive yourself when your emotions get out of control for a while. If you take one full day to do nothing but read a book or let the laundry slide, it's okay.

I never learned this when I was in my 30's. It was always go, go, go. Never a minute for myself. I pushed for my family and ran a regular taxicab getting everyone from place to place. Yes, that is part of the family routine. And in most cases you have to be a super mom. But don't forget that you are a person, too. One day of doing almost nothing is not wrong.

I might add that because of the number of years that I followed the philosophy above it is very likely that my brain chemistry got out of whack and the bipolar came through sooner than it may have if I would have had the sense to forgive myself for not slowing down and smelling the roses, looking at the world around me, or reading a book. I should have put myself into the picture rather than see myself as the one who had to do it all.

No comments: