Thursday, September 4, 2008

SPENDING MONEY


I’ve always heard that people with our disorders have a tendency to spend large sums of money while on a manic cycle. Do I fit into this category? Am I a high spender who seems to have no control or is out of control during the manic stage? Just where do I fall into line with this idea?


If I am really on an upswing I find myself looking more in stores and more willing to shop impulsively. But for me it has always remained around $200. I’m not sure why it stays at that number. Maybe because I know that finances are tight. Honestly, I don’t know why.


I’ve heard of others who spend large sums of money without really thinking of the consequences and then have to struggle later on to pay off large sums of credit card charges or repay loans that occurred as a result of overspending. Flashy spending is not my style. Anyone else care to comment on this?? Do you go on a spending spree when you are in the manic cycle? If not, exactly what do you do? Catch-up on your artwork and paint with a frenzy? Write non-stop and become more productive than normal? Gamble? Take risks that you normally wouldn’t do? You have to know how you react to being bipolar. Spending money may not be a problem for you but somewhere along the pathway something else probably happens as a result of the disease.

No comments: